New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Actually, it didn't creep me out either. I liked it for the M&S telephone banter and the fact Scully was the one trying to solve it independently of Mulder on her vacation. And that they tried to pass White Rock, BC for Maine they also tried to pass it for Florida and Oregon.

I posted the name of the Simpsons episode in the Info Center Intro thread. The whole opening related to the movie trauma is one that causes me to have a giggle fest so badly.
beloved of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A rewatch thread! Like this idea...
I didn't participate so how did you go about it?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

I wasn’t here for it, but wow, talk about a thread not being used in a long time. I was such a newbie when I last posted here!
Old 11-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I remember we used to have something like a watchathon-thread where we alsoways discussed what to watch next but I couldn't find it
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Well, on Monday I’ll rename the thread and randomly choose a number from our favorites lists and go with that for the week? Then we know we’d like the episode!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Good thinking!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

So this week of Nov. 5 - 11, the episode under discussion is Post Modern Prometheus (season 5).

You can watch it and discuss anything that stands out to you, favourite moments, etc.

Have fun!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great choice

ETA It might be a good idea to post the link for this thread in the board closure discussion.
Other may access just like me - via User CP and subscribed threads. They may not see this.

Last edited by kiamay; 11-07-2018 at 06:03 AM
kiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Elite Fan

I’ve finished my rewatch!

I just love how cinematic it all feels, like an old black and white movie, the production values for The X-Files were simply incredible considering that they were making 20-25 episodes every year! And even though it’s obviously trying out a different format, it also in some ways feels like the classic example of a typical MotW tale with Mulder and Scully, just everything about their dynamic is captured perfectly here with all of the funny reaction shots, and Scully rolling her eyes at, ‘Is there anything that you don’t believe in, Mulder’

And I loved the way the soundtrack used the Cher songs, and has your feet tapping along and dancing just the same as the characters were. Plus it ends on Mulder and Scully dancing in that all time classic shot Absolutely a top five episode from the series for me

I totally understand why many viewers can’t get past how disturbing it is that we’re kind of asked to sympathise with inseminating unsuspecting women, but the whole thing is structured so much as a fantasy/dark fairy tale, that idk I guess I just kind of go with it and try not to think about that part too much IMO the main shortcoming there is trying to present the Dad as a ~good and simple~ man. In the case of the great mutato I can sympathise more with how isolated from the world and desperate he was, I think it makes more sense to portray him as a tragic figure and see his POV, it was the fathers actions that I feel like the episode should have been harsher on
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So, I am getting ready for my rewatch.
First thing I noticed was - and I had totally forgot about that - is that the German title of the episode is The Great Mutato (der große Mutato). I wonder why they didn't simply translate... were they afraid Greek mythology would scare people off?

^will read your comments when I am done watching

ETA Sweet episode.
Incredibly flat and mostly stupid characters But very lovable.
I enjoyed all the stereotypes like the "monster's" lovable side being shown by all the animals loving him, the angry mob with torches (which I much prefer on TV) and the evil scientist ("Do you want a Nobel Prize or a baby?" ) plus the tabloid with its headlines.

I agree the shots were great! The camera was right in their faces quite a lot. And the soundtrack was amazing. I read they had written this whole episode with Cher in mind... and also with Roseanne Barr which I found interesting. Would ahve been a good role for her, the mom.

Quote:
I totally understand why many viewers can’t get past how disturbing it is that we’re kind of asked to sympathise with inseminating unsuspecting women
Totally! That's what I thought in that first scene where the mom watches Jerry Springer while her house is being prepared.
It oly works because the plot is completely focused on the plot of the tragic Frankenstein and because the characters are all flat. There is no room to be emotionally invested in anyone really... except maybe with the great Mutato. When he dug a hole for his father and when they wanted to kill him, these extremes got to me. The rest was just pure entertainment

Last edited by kiamay; 11-09-2018 at 12:09 PM
kiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiamay (View Post)
Incredibly flat and mostly stupid characters But very lovable.
Lol yes, I did find some of them a bit annoying in the diner scenes Some of the close-ups there were a little off putting tbh lol

Quote:
I agree the shots were great! The camera was right in their faces quite a lot. And the soundtrack was amazing. I read they had written this whole episode with Cher in mind... and also with Roseanne Barr which I found interesting.
I don’t know if Roseanne has ever commented on what she thought about the episode, but personally I thought the main actress did a fine job, it would have been a bit distracting maybe to have Roseanne there instead to play another version of her sitcom character. I know that Cher has talked about it a bit though, at the time she was getting into acting and I believe she turned it down because she was disappointed that they wanted her to appear as a singer at the end, and she had been hoping for an acting role to challenge her. But then when she watched the episode she loved it so much that she ended up wishing she had done it It must have been very flattering how they used her music, and how catchy it came across as! It was sweet to see the clips from The Mask too, and having the mutato fall in love with Cher because of how loving she comes across there, that was a great movie

Quote:
It only works because the plot is completely focused on the plot of the tragic Frankenstein and because the characters are all flat. There is no room to be emotionally invested in anyone really... except maybe with the great Mutato
That’s true, none of their reactions very real in that respect I guess, because it was so clearly structured as just a story that wanted to blend films and comic books together. It deliberately felt very heightened and unrealistic, ‘I want to speak to the writer!’
Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That was a great moment!
And you are right, heightened is the right word for it
I don't know the movie "The Mask". What kind of movie is that?
Whenever I think of Cher as an actress I have "Mermaids" in mind which I adored

I agree Roseanne Barr might have been distracting but I can see why they thought of her.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 AM
Master Fan

Hey guys,

sorry for the late comment: I have been very busy this week. Unfortunately I have not yet rewatched 'Prometheus', but I do remember one futile little detail: At some point the 'mad Scientist' character Dr. Pollidori shows them a video about the Scientific basis of embryology. Including the development of the early embryo of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster, and the role of the so-called HOX-genes. Just to let you know: As always on the X-files, the Science was shockingly accurate.

Haha, I just thought this must not have been discussed before.

Cheers,
m.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Little_Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really love that about the X-Files. They're outrageous but they do their homework

Hope your workload lightens a bit
Old 11-11-2018, 07:06 AM
Elite Fan

The close-up picture of the fly with legs growing out of its mouth really grosssed me out :shudders:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiamay (View Post)
I don't know the movie "The Mask". What kind of movie is that?
Whenever I think of Cher as an actress I have "Mermaids" in mind which I adored
The Mask is based on a true story, it’s about a 16 year old who suffered from a very rare disorder which made his face look really disfigured, Cher played his mother. And I loved Cher in Mermaids too