Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Elite Fan

My hand was twitching at the time... He doesn't like her but... it's obvious he isn't actually beating her, which I respect a lot really. I think if I were around her... yeah black and blue if not dead...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Because if you were married to Cersei you'd probably hit her too.
i like robert obviously but that reason is just kind of... robert wasn't some ideal, loving husband to cersei. he was just as bad in the marriage as she was. but i didn't see anything in the series that would be a good reason for him to hit her. nothing would justify him hitting her. ever.

Quote:
I was kinda surprised he did it though
me too.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

I guess it's the whole being a "King" thing that not even the Queen should be disrespectful cause remember he warned Renley of that same thing later in the episode when he started to get outta line.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFaraday (View Post)
i like robert obviously but that reason is just kind of... robert wasn't some ideal, loving husband to cersei. he was just as bad in the marriage as she was. but i didn't see anything in the series that would be a good reason for him to hit her. nothing would justify him hitting her. ever.
Sorry if I offend but... she kinda you know... had him poisoned so I don't feel bad that she got hit once (And as a Feminist, I'm not on the you don't hit women ever team, women don't deserve special treatment they deserve equal treatment, you don't abuse and cause harm people who are physically weaker than you... that being said one slap in a story full of slapping? I'm not going to get mad because it was a woman who got slapped. Everyone loves Tyrion slapping around Joffery...). Particularly in a society were if she wasn't his wife she would have been hanged for saying that to the king...

Last edited by lunas_borednow; 07-06-2011 at 10:49 PM
lunas_borednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Master Fan

i'm not offended, but i'm always going to stan for cersei
Quote:
And as a Feminist, I'm not on the you don't hit women ever team, women don't deserve special treatment they deserve equal treatment, you don't abuse and cause harm people who are physically weaker than you... that being said one slap in a story full of slapping? I'm not going to get mad because it was a woman who got slapped. Everyone loves Tyrion slapping around Joffery...
yea thats why i didn't say she'd be right in hitting him either. it's not about special treatment cause in a marriage neither side should be hitting the other. i know that's not how things worked back then, especially when you're married to a king but still
he tolerated alot from her, and i respect him for that cause it's cersei lol and she obviously knows how to get under his skin. but since he tolerated so much it just shows he obviously had tons of self control when it came to her and so using it again when he had the urge to hit her wouldn't have been so hard imo
and tyrion slapping joffrey isn't really a comparison since it's uncle to nephew, and they aren't in a marriage lol
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Yeah. I'm no fan of domestic violence either but I can think of a million reasons in season one why I would want to hit her. In fact I really wanted her to be BBQed by a dragon about halfway through book one.

Obviously Robert is not an ideal husband or he wouldn't have hit her. Justify? I don't think the slap was about justice or that people like the slap because it was just. I think he was angered by her insults and so he hit her. Robert isn't really witty and he isn't really sly. So he won't insult her verbally the way she did him. And he won't slip something in her tea to make her sick the way she would. He's direct with his anger, thus the slap. It made me happy and I watched it over and over and over.

I didn't enjoy it because Robert is so much better than Cersei but because Cersei IMO had it coming all season. I wish the gods had slapped her. THAT would be justice.

The flip side of the slap could be a reason to admire Cersei. Because she wore the bruise as a badge of pride. Robert felt bad about hitting her afterward. HE wasn't proud of slapping her.

The reason Cersei was being so venomous toward Robert is because he wouldn't unleash his wrath on Ned in retaliation for Jaime and Cersei's LIES! Not everyone will become a thug for Cersei every time she lies the way Jaime will.

I wanted to rip out her throat when she lied to Cat's teary eyed face while standing over Bran's mangled body. GRR!

ETA: I admire stanning for fave characters! But Cersei burns me up!

I am Tyrion's Wench
LittleLoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
i'm not offended, but i'm always going to stan for cersei
yea thats why i didn't say she'd be right in hitting him either. it's not about special treatment cause in a marriage neither side should be hitting the other. i know that's not how things worked back then, especially when you're married to a king but still
he tolerated alot from her, and i respect him for that cause it's cersei lol and she obviously knows how to get under his skin. but since he tolerated so much it just shows he obviously had tons of self control when it came to her and so using it again when he had the urge to hit her wouldn't have been so hard imo
and tyrion slapping joffrey isn't really a comparison since it's uncle to nephew, and they aren't in a marriage lol
I guess I don't think it matters what relationship you have to someone... Either it's universally wrong to hit someone for being a horrible person or it isn't... That's my you know stand.

I think it showed his depth of love for Ned... it was because she was talking about how he should be killing Ned that finally just made him snap. Ned was the person living who meant the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLoLo (View Post)
Yeah. I'm no fan of domestic violence either but I can think of a million reasons in season one why I would want to hit her. In fact I really wanted her to be BBQed by a dragon about halfway through book one.

Obviously Robert is not an ideal husband or he wouldn't have hit her. Justify? I don't think the slap was about justice or that people like the slap because it was just. I think he was angered by her insults and so he hit her. Robert isn't really witty and he isn't really sly. So he won't insult her verbally the way she did him. And he won't slip something in her tea to make her sick the way she would. He's direct with his anger, thus the slap. It made me happy and I watched it over and over and over.

I didn't enjoy it because Robert is so much better than Cersei but because Cersei IMO had it coming all season. I wish the gods had slapped her. THAT would be justice.

The flip side of the slap could be a reason to admire Cersei. Because she wore the bruise as a badge of pride. Robert felt bad about hitting her afterward. HE wasn't proud of slapping her.

The reason Cersei was being so venomous toward Robert is because he wouldn't unleash his wrath on Ned in retaliation for Jaime and Cersei's LIES! Not everyone will become a thug for Cersei every time she lies the way Jaime will.

I wanted to rip out her throat when she lied to Cat's teary eyed face while standing over Bran's mangled body. GRR!

ETA: I admire stanning for fave characters! But Cersei burns me up!
I think of several reasons to have Cersei burned alive during season one alone so... yeah I'm with you.

Last edited by lunas_borednow; 07-06-2011 at 11:26 PM
lunas_borednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
i guess in this situation it comes down to if you're a fan and if you aren't. cause if you hate cersei i can see how you'd have that reasoning and want her bbqed
she's one of my fave characters tho.
i'm not saying i can't see why he wouldn't WANT to, but i still think there's no reason for him to actually go through with the act. wanting to and actually
going ahead and doing it are two different things.

Quote:
yea i loved her response. and even tho i wish he hadn't slapped her it didn't make me hate him or think he's some horrible person, obviously not if i'm in his thread cause like you said, he did feel bad afterwards.

Quote:
Either it's universally wrong to hit someone for being a horrible person or it isn't... That's my you know stand.
that's such a black and white stand tho but i see where you're coming from.
Quote:
I think it showed his depth of love for Ned... it was because she was talking about how he should be killing Ned that finally just made him snap. Ned was the person living who meant the most.
yea, definitely
Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
that's such a black and white stand tho but i see where you're coming from.
I think there is debate about justification... I just don't see marriage or being a woman as being reasons why it isn't justifiable... If being a horrible terrible disrespectful person who doesn't feel bad about little kids almost dying is a reason to slap someone than both Cersei and Joffery more than earned their slaps.

I think at the time there was actually more reasons for Robert to hit Cersei than for Tyrion to hit Joffery at the times they happened .
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's true though it can't be more appropriate to hit a boy who is being a jerk than a woman who is completely out of control. I mean I just have to agree that if it's okay for one person to be hit and we all revel in it then how can it be SO wrong that someone else got hit? idk...

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Smash Adams
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Elite Fan

Wonder how he would have turned out if Lyanna had lived...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissalaugha (View Post)
It's true though it can't be more appropriate to hit a boy who is being a jerk than a woman who is completely out of control. I mean I just have to agree that if it's okay for one person to be hit and we all revel in it then how can it be SO wrong that someone else got hit? idk...
I can understand if medical reasons were involved, or under 10 or something but yeah, I enjoy quiet a bit of the slapping that goes on in the books/show. Heck I even cheer Cat for the rock punch to Jaime, and he's one of my darlings, so that shows not being favoritism here.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe more like Ned
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Elite Fan

I wonder if she could have made him happy or if it was all in his head...
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think a lot of it was just in his head..

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread