Elite Fan

Because "only the ladder is real."
Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Elite Fan

Best Plot Twist
according to Damon Lindelof

Quote:
RUNNER-UP: Game of Thrones — Littlefinger’s reveal
Game of Thrones certainly did that in its first season. It was like, This is a pretty cool show, I like dragons, the actors are really cool, I'm into this. But then the moment that Ned Stark gets his head cut off, you suddenly go, If they're going to do that, I can never, ever miss an episode of this show. I think that some shows — and certainly Lost was one of those shows — particularly when you're doing twenty-plus episodes a year, those sort of twists become your bread-and-butter. There's almost an expectation that you have to provide one an episode, or a cliffhanger. And then there are shows like Scandal — which I love, by the way — where that's what the show is about. The show is about, Is there anything we will not do? So once that becomes an expectation that when you walk into the restaurant, you are going to be served up a plate full of twists, it becomes a slightly different animal.
The harder show to find is the one that doesn't seem to have twists built into its narrative cycle, and then when they do, it's a great twist because it's one you don't anticipate. We all went to see The Sixth Sense, and we were treated to what was a very effective horror movie, with no sense whatsoever that we were watching a movie built on a twist. And it was successful in both arenas. Subsequent M. Night Shyamalan movies have been a victim of needing to continue to propagate that idea, so you would watch them differently. You'd be like, I'm not accepting the fact that these people just sort of live in a village like Amish people. There's got to be something happening below the surface here. I would certainly have the expectation that there will be twists in [Shyamalan's forthcoming TV series] Wayward Pines. And then will we be disappointed if it doesn't have those twists?
I love the way Game of Thrones executes those twists. For some reason — and this is just me being completely and totally precious about the idea of a twist — it's that area where it can't just be about a character's unexpected and sudden death. By definition, a twist is a move in a direction or the presentation of a connection between characters that completely and totally subverts your feelings about the show, or the world in which the show is taking place. There are exciting things that happen on shows like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad that are very plot-drived. But neither one of them engages in what I would call an active misdirect.
For example, Breaking Bad had a scene in the first half of their final season where they showed Walt walking out of a restaurant and opening up his trunk and revealing that the gun was in there. And a twist would be that the final season is calibrated around a series of incidents that don't lead to him using that gun in the way that we traditionally would think that he was going to, as opposed to the inevitable connections of the lines. Breaking Bad was not a show that was built around shocking twists. It was more the super-impactful moments that were highly memorable, akin to Krysten Ritter choking to death on her own puke and Walt standing over her and letting it happen, or Walt begging for Hank to not be executed and failing. I guess those traditionally qualify as twists, because when you tuned in that night, you didn't think that that character was going to be leaving forever. But I put the shocking death of beloved characters or not-so-beloved characters, like in Joffrey's case, in a slightly different category than twists.
Littlefinger is the kind of twist I love, because it's more of a reveal, right? The moment that Ser Dontos comes and grabs Sansa, in the moment that Joffrey is choking, we know that he is employed by the person who is responsible for that poisoning. So the real twist, I think, is more a matter not of Littlefinger killing Joffrey; it's that Littlefinger has basically been the mastermind all along, and manipulated Lysa Arryn to essentially to suck Ned and Catelyn into this complicit plot, having poisoned her own husband, and framing the Lannisters for such. That is a hell of a twist, no doubt.
I had to stop reading at the third book because I started to feel a little bit douchey about watching the show. I found myself being one of those guys who was like, "Oh, wait until you see what happens next!" I found myself wanting to be one of those guys who didn't know what was going to happen next. But I love me my Lord Baelish.
Vulture TV Awards: Best Plot Twist -- Vulture
Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

^ Thanks for posting that

Jade . Arts . Other . Lily James
sourburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Elite Fan

Just wanted to say that Littlefinger is really cool.
powerfully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

You should always feel free to say it. He's so sly it's amazing. The amount of plotting he gets away with

Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Master Fan

I can't believe Varys is the only one that caught on
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

Eitherway he is a mastermind

Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 AM
Elite Fan

Are you guys on team Varys or team Littlefinger?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

LF, who would be team V?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 AM
Elite Fan

Ehm okay I say nothing
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Can You Spare a Brain?